Multilayer PCBs are circuit boards with more than 2 layers. At Pure PCB we design and manufacture multilayer PCBs to fit and improve your electronic product.
Our multilayer boards production capability is built upon our core concepts of efficiency, repeatability and reliability, supporting the most complex of multilayer PCB requirements in a cost-effective manufacturing environment. Amongst our other PCB capabilities, we offer a range of multilayer options from 1 to 36.
What is a Multilayer PCB?
A Multilayer PCB is a printed circuit board that has more than 2 layers, unlike a double sided PCB or a 2 layer PCB board, which only has two conductive layers of material. All multilayer PCB’s must have at least three layers of conductive material.
A Multilayer PCB is much more complex than a double-sided PCB design and can have any number of conductive copper layers from 4 to 6 layers or even up to 64 layers. Multilayer PCB’s are laminated and glued together with layers of heat protection insulation between them. The electrical connections between layers are achieved with various methods such as plating vias through holes and buried vias.
What is the purpose of a multilayer PCB?
Our multilayer printed circuit boards provide both high capacity and speed for your product in a smaller footprint by their innate electrical properties. The connectors that are usually required for multiple, separate PCBs are reduced or eliminated simply by combining them in circuit boards. This simplifies construction and further reduces weight.
The benefits of multilayer boards
There are many benefits of multilayer PCBs:
- Smaller – because multilayer PCBs combine multiple PCBs to create a more streamlined design with the same functionality.
- Lighter – similar to the smaller aspect of multilayer PCBs with the combination of multiple boards you get a lighter product.
- Durability - Multilayer PCBs are be durable by their nature as they are built to withstand their own heat and the weight.
- Flexibility - some multilayer PCBs use flexible construction techniques, however this is not always the case. Find out more about Flexible PCBs.
- Improved quality – a multilayer PCB is more complex than its single counterpart consequently more planning and work is put in and thy are often of better quality
- Powerful: as extremely high-density assemblies multilayer boards are able to achieve greater capacity and speed despite their smaller size.
Multilayer PCB Board Thickness
Our multilayer board thickness is 370 mil and the finished copper weight of inner and outer layers is 15 oz each. The line width & space of a multilayer PCB is a minimum 3mil/3mi and a minimum drill size cnc 4 mil. The minimum drill size laser drill of our multilayer PCBs is 3 mil, with an aspect ratio of 18:01 and a maximum board size of 43”x26”. The minimum core thickness for Pure’s multilayer PCBs is 2mil and the impedance control tolerance +/- 5%.
Suitable Surface Finishes for Multilayer PCBs
- LF HASL
- Leaded HASL
- Immersion Silver
- Organic solder paste
Suitable Laminates for Multilayer Boards
...plus many more laminates for multilater boards available.
Why Choose Pure PCB as your Multilayer PCB Supplier?
As a key part of our business, Pure PCB’s double-sided PCB manufacturing capability drives our desire to deliver robust technology at the lowest available total cost, maximising your product lifecycle and optimising your cost point.
- Short lead times, whatever your order size - With significant capacity to support low volume production in some of the marketplaces' most effective lead times, through to higher volume mass production, Pure PCB’s experienced team has the commitment and experience to deliver your multilayer boards and double-sided PCB designs in a secure and controlled manner.
- State of the art technology - Utilising the latest equipment, including advanced robotics to minimise touch time and reduce product workflow, our quality of multilayer boards products and service matches fluently with your project requirements.
Multilayer PCB Capability Overview
|PCB Technology||Current Capability|
|Layer Count||4-36 Layers|
|Board Thickness||370 Mil|
|Finished Copper Weight||Inner Layer 15 Oz|
|Outer Layer 15 Oz|
|Line Width & Space (Minimum)||3 Mil/3 Mil|
|Minimum Drill Size CNC||4 Mil|
|Minimum Drill Size Laser Drill||3 Mil|
|Surface Finishes Available||ENIG|
|Organic Solder Paste|
|Maximum Board Size||43" x 26"|
|Minimum Core Thickness||2 Mil|
|Impedance Control Tolerance||+/- 5%|
For more information on our Multilayer printed circuit boards, 2 layer PCBs or 4 layer PCBs, get in touch with a member of our multilayer PCB supplier and manufacturing team.